What to do with
Where can I recycle? »
Most councils collect aerosols via household collection schemes and at recycling centres. Check if aerosols are collected for recycling in your area with our locator tool.
How should I recycle aerosols?
- Most councils collect aerosol cans as part of the household collection scheme or they can be taken to recycling centres;
- Ensure that your aerosol is completely empty before you decide to recycle it;
- Aerosols can be stored for a long time - there is no need to throw out a half empty can, even if you haven't used it for a while...
- Do not pierce, crush or flatten the aerosol before recycling;
- Detach any loose or easily removable parts, such as the lid, and dispose of them with the rest of your rubbish.
What are aerosols made from?
The main part of an aerosol is the can. Around 60% of these are made from tinplated steel; the remaining 40% are made from aluminium. Both of these metals are recyclable. Aerosols also contain some small plastic and rubber components including the lid, valve and dip tube. These other parts are extracted in the recycling process.